Monday, May 2, 2016

Why I Stopped Praying for a Miracle - My Prader-Willi Syndrome Story

The month of May is Prader-Willi Syndrome awareness month! Didn't know that? Me neither, until this year! So many moms in this new-found community of mine have been posting their stories to encourage others and help the people around them understand a little bit more about this condition that affects our lives everyday. I figured now's a good a time as any to really hone in my blogging skills by posting a bit more regularly this month about our journey so far and the things I've learned over the past *almost* 10 months. I'll start this experiment by writing a little about the very first lesson I was faced with almost as soon as Henry was diagnosed.

Now, don't get me wrong. I love praying for people. I love praying impossible things, and hearing about or seeing first-hand how God answers those prayers. And no, this doesn't mean that I'm never going to pray a miracle over someone ever again. God could even change my heart and tell me when to start praying for this miracle again. But for now, all I can tell you is that I understand.



I can't believe how tiny he looks in this photo!
When we got Henry's diagnosis, I was flooded with all of the worst kinds of emotions. I didn't want see him or hold him. There was even a fleeting moment when I thought and told my husband that I felt like we had "wasted" Henry's name. That lasted for about 2 seconds. Because when I actually did go over to his hospital crib and pick up that sweet, tiny little baby, I knew that there was absolutely nothing about this child that was a waste.

Yet, that night in bed, I prayed and PRAYED for a miracle. "I'm the knocking widow here... open the door. You told me I could do this. You told me if I prayed long enough, You would answer." I prayed that prayer every night for weeks.


Something I've learned in my study of God's word is that, as a Christian, everything I do should be done for the glory of God. Sure, you might recognize the wording from one particular verse, but what I've noticed is that this is a major theme throughout the Bible. And, after reading God explain His plans to Moses, Abraham, and the prophets, I've realized that one of the main purposes of those plans is to spread His name and glory throughout the nations. And, being the all-powerful, all-knowing God that He is, the things that bring Him the most glory are also what are best for us, what benefit us like no plan of ours ever could.



James took this soon after we got home.
So, in my still-small understanding, I started praying that Henry would be "healed", that his 15th chromosome would be made whole again for God's glory. In these new prayers, I promised that I would tell everyone I met that Henry had been healed and that, like Hannah in the Bible, I would dedicate Henry, his life and his story to spreading God's glory to everyone I met. It was then that I was faced with a question: What would actually bring God more glory? A long-gone story of healing, or an ongoing story of trust? If there's one thing I know about my wandering heart, it's that I am prone to take blessings for granted. After a while, a healing would just be "healed", and even that would turn into normal, everyday life. Trust, however, is built and sustained. I will NEVER take Henry to a doctor's appointment, or watch him in Physical Therapy and think that we've done this all on our own. I will never hear a man at the grocery store look at my baby and say, "That's a BIG one!" (yes, that actually happened), and not want to sing God's praises about how far He has brought us.

In those first weeks after the diagnosis, we shared with hundreds of people via social media not only about Henry's condition, but also about how we believed God would use it for His glory and our good,  and how we trusted Him no matter what. I was even used to share it with one of our nurses, a grief counsellor at the hospital and countless others after we got home.


That's why I've stopped praying for a miracle. I still pray that God's glory will be spread through our son and his life, but not that way. I believe that this story is still going, and I can't wait to watch it unfold.



Lord, continue to share this story of Your goodness and faithfulness through our family, and use us to spread Your glory throughout the earth. 
This big guy has been doing a lot of practice sitting up! I think he's getting the hang of it. Praise Jesus!





*I thought it best to add a little disclaimer here: I don't think it's wrong to pray for a miracle for our children. If you are the parent of a child with a disability, and you feel led to pray for healing, PRAY! If you've felt led by God to pray for healing for Henry, PRAY!  Listen to what the Spirit is leading you to do, and do it for His glory! 

10 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your heart. God is being glorified through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your heart. God is being glorified through your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for sharing. You touched my heart. God Bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was beautifully said and very wise. "Never doubt in the darkness what God has given you in the light." I'm not sure who said that first, but I've held onto that quote more than once. Henry is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautifully honestly written, thank you for sharing your thoughts and your wisdom. God Bless

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful job! Momma to Derek, 26 years old, PWS by deletion.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I also have a son with PWS but unlike you, I will continue to pray for a miracle for him. Prayer changes us. I glorify God with my trust and prayer while I await for a miracle for my son. For there's nothing impossible for God. Thy Will Be Done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, God will be glorified by your trust in Him! Thank you for being faithful and continuing to trust Him for a miracle. May God be glorified through us and both of our boys.

      Delete
  8. Dear Alison, I am a christian, and my son has just been diagnosed with PWS. My prayers are with you, and thank you for your article. It further strengthened my faith in my weakest moment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you were encouraged by this post at the right time. Thank you for your sweet comments. I'll pray for continued strength as you walk through this new diagnosis with your son!

      Delete