Friday, October 11, 2013

Misconceptions - The Opener

 Growing up, I formed many misconceptions of what married life would look like. Now, here I sit with two rings on my left hand and a noggin full of new-found knowledge. Sure, it’s barely been two months, but I have learned things that my young self never could've imagined. The first and most important misconception (and the one that caused me to write this post) is that of the crock-pot. Young Ali would say that slow cookers are only for individuals who are above the age of 40 and have at least 4 children. Oh ho ho, poor, innocent little girl. The crock-pot is unbiased in its service. The crock-pot will treat you kindly whether or not you have soccer practices, car pools or a full working schedule. It is a friend to all and was, indeed, my friend yesterday. There is nothing more delightful, more freeing, than the feeling you get at 11am and you are done with dinner. D-O-N-E. My excitement on this subject cannot be contained. Why? Well, you see, this was my FIRST crock-pot meal. I am like a child who opened a favorite present at Christmas then decides to take it with her everywhere she goes. While I cannot haul the C.P. with me wherever I go, I most certainly can tell everyone I know about it!  For those of you who are wondering - yes, I DID find this recipe via Pinterest, and yes, it WAS delicious!!

She can't really have opened a blog just to talk about her crock-potting adventures...can she have?

No. No I most certainly didn't. While I do pride myself on my ability to talk for hours about mundane subjects (go ahead... I dare you to ask James), that was not my purpose for opening a blog. The main idea behind it is that while postcards, phone calls, and Facebook status updates have their place in this world, I'd much prefer to get as much information about  our life as the Everetts out to as many people as possible in one go. 
  
The other reason (and, of course, the sillier one), is that ever since I started reading my sister-in-law Shannon's blog, I have been inspired to try my hand at being clever and witty (not to mention, practicing good grammar... or is it, "well grammar?") all the while talking about life. I confess, that since reading her blog, I have not read one post of hers that I HAVEN'T laughed aloud at. Oh boy. 

Now, back to reason #1 for starting a blog. ANNOUNCEMENT! No, we are not pregnant, buying a house or opening a macaroni and cheese cafe in downtown Greeley (that, of course, would be the best place for it... college students love a good plate of mac n' cheese), but we do, indeed, have news.

Come on, then. Give us the news! 

Unfortunately, I must, at this point (and most regretfully), leave you hanging. There are a small handful of people who know about this announcement, and an even SMALLER handful who must be told personally before we can post about it publicly. So, feel free to toss and turn or wake up in a hot sweat wondering what it could be that those Everetts are up to now. Before you know it, you will see that this blog (proven quite useless up until then) has a new post. And that, my dear friends, is when our announcement will be made.
Looking forward to seeing you then.

1 comment: