Wednesday, October 22, 2014

The "Yes" Girl Experiment #2 - Ingrid

 My newest "yes" is probably one of my happiest, and wonderful yeses so far. It has also been one of my longest running "no's"... until yesterday.

It all started when my parents found and nursed back to health two cute little kittens last year. They were so young that my mom had to bottle feed them, and they could barely walk in a straight line. James and I so desperately wanted to keep both of them, but since we were three months away from leaving for S. Asia, it just wasn't going to work out. The kittens were taken to a loving new home, and we were left with only a few fluffy memories.

That was when we started dreaming about kittens! So far, it might be hard for you to understand why this made it to my "yes girl" posts. It doesn't sound like I had a reason to say "no".  Yes, I love kittens. Just thinking about cuddling with a little ball of fluff gives me the warm fuzzies. What I don't love is hair everywhere, people not wanting to come over because they're allergic to cats, and finding a good hiding spot in our home for a litter box. My family had a cat growing up, and he lived for 19 years. The very idea of being tied up with something that's not my husband or spawn for that long gives me sweaty palms. Even human babies aren't expected to live under your roof for that long!

I tossed around the idea of wrapping a cat in a box last week for James' birthday, but decided that the process of choosing one with him would be better. The next thought was to give him a coupon that said "Okay, I give up, let's get a cat," but I couldn't bring myself to make the first move. So, I resolved that the next time James said those words, I would say yes.

That happened two days ago as James scrolled down the cute, fuzzy pictures on Craigslist. I swallowed hard, and said the word. My mind immediately went into defense mode, flooding with all the reasons not to get a cat, but thankfully, it was too late. I had already said "yes," and there was no going back.

The little cutie fell asleep in James' lap on the way home.

Yesterday, we drove to Loveland to retrieve our prize. When we contacted the woman who had posted the add, she told us that the kitten we were interested in was the most cuddly in the bunch, and that she was the only one that purred. That sealed the deal for me. Those are the two best attributes any cat could have. So, purr and cuddle she did, all the way home! 

Ingrid has been purring, cuddling, pouncing and playing ever since! Watching her play with her toys and snuggle up to James' head while in bed made me wonder why I didn't say "yes" earlier! It's been less than 24 hours, and we've had so much fun with her already!

 Ingrid practically skips everywhere. This morning, she made three hops on her hind legs as she tried to pounce on James' feet. It made me laugh out loud!  She is also the only cat I have ever known who falls asleep/ is comfortable on her back. I was holding her on her back in my cupped hands (yes, she's THAT small) as we walked through the pet store, and she slept like that for a good ten minutes. It was adorable. Suffice it to say, Ingrid is the cutest animal that has ever walked on the earth, and we love her! I'm so happy that she is one of my "yes"es, and I can't wait to snuggle with her for the next 19 years(...)!




Welcome home, Ingrid.

No comments:

Post a Comment