Thursday, October 16, 2014

The "Yes" Girl Experiment-Number One

I was one day in, and was already being faced with a difficult "yes". I'd been saying "no" to dying my hair just about every time James and I would go to the grocery store; when James would begin looking at hair dyes. He made it obvious almost as soon as we were married that he fancies golden brown hair. Not that he thinks my dark hair is ugly, or that he wants me to change my appearance in order to like me more, but golden brown is just a color that he's always thought was pretty. I, being the dark-haired goddess that I am (I hope you know that's a joke) have always taken pride in my dark tresses, and have a hard time thinking about parting with them. So, it wasn't a surprise when dread instantly filled my heart the minute I noticed James walking to the hair dye isle while we were at the grocery store two days ago. He was the one who was surprised, however, at the first word I uttered when he asked me for the seemingly millionth time if I wanted to dye my hair: "yes". It felt good to see his happily surprised face when he heard my answer. It felt good to be a "yes" girl. But at the same time, I regretted the word.

remember when this happened??
Remember my new motto? "Have fun at the 'yes'". It might be worded better to say, "Choose joy at the  'yes'". As it turns out, this motto is a LOT easier said than done. I could think of a million reasons NOT to dye my hair. I liked it dark. I'd already dyed it red (a dark, subtle red, remember). It was just growing back to it's natural state after the pixie cut!! But, as promised, I began counting the reasons to say "yes", and soon my anxious, half -"yes", became (after a good long time of reasoning with myself, mind you) an excited, %100 "yes!" After all, why shouldn't I try to please my husband? I know that he likes golden brown hair, and I also know that, for both selfless and selfish reasons I want to be as lovely as I possibly can be in his eyes. So why not put two and two together and do the darn thing?!? Well, that's exactly what I did. We bought the box of dye, and went home. After finishing James' cake (did I mention that that was on his birthday?), we went to the bathroom and doused my hair with the stuff.

As it turns out, golden brown is not that different from dark brown. Especially if your hair is so dark that it renders the dye basically useless. And also when you only use half of the bottle. User's error, I guess.

So it seems that all that fretting was for nothing. But I'll have you know that we WILL be trying the dye again in hope of a better, more golden result. I was really disappointed to see my natural hair color (albeit with a tinge of golden shine  if you really look at it) after it was all over. I wanted my "yes" to actually be a "yes"! But soon we'll try it again, and with some luck (and a better look at the instructions), my hair will be golden brown in no time!

No comments:

Post a Comment